Reducing Household Waste
Tips on reducing household waste
- Buy products in bulk or with less packaging.
- Compost. This will provide a free boost to your garden and reduce waste.
- Choose reusable containers
- Instead of plastic baggies, use plastic or glass containers with lids.
- Invest in reusable cloth bags to use when grocery shopping.
- Give away large items
- Donate or sell large items (furniture, appliances) that others could use instead of sending them to the landfill.
- Recycle. Keep items out of the waste stream and give them a new purpose.
- Choose items with recyclable containers and with containers made from materials with recycled content.
- Reuse old toothbrushes to clean tiles, shoes, etc.
- Reuse glass jars to store nails, screws, or craft supplies in the garage or sewing room.
- Instead of paper or plastic, use ceramic mugs, cloth napkins or towels, ceramic plates and silverware.
- Give old clothes to charities or turn into cleaning rags.
- Cut old milk jugs in half to use as planters or bird feeders.
- Rent or borrow seldom used equipment.